- LADIES 50+ Low Impact, Fast-paced Cardio, Strength, Abs/Core, Flexibility Exercise Classes
- ACTIVE Seniors Low Impact Exercise Classes for Men & Women
- SEATED Seniors Exercise Classes for Men & Women
- SEATED Yoga (Stretch & Flexibility) Classes for Seniors
- Walking with Poles: Classes & Demonstrations: Poles are used in therapy following hip or knee surgery; as mobility aids for those inflicted with diseases such as Parkinson’s; or, for improved posture, balance & even for weight loss.
- Arthritis Workshops for Seniors (can be provided as a weekly or monthly series to cover a variety of joints)
- Individual Private Fitness Training for Men & Women over 50 (when scheduling permits)
Description and Benefits of Gentle Fit Exercise Classes
These low impact classes will benefit the participants’ overall health and functionality in their daily lives by:
Improving your Strength, Stamina, Balance, Circulation, Flexibility and your Cardiovascular & Respiratory Health. Other benefits may include: improved sleep and enhanced coordination skills. The social aspect of gathering together in a group provides the ‘FUN’ factor, giving us a feeling of community spirit, as we meet new people and make new friends!
Click Here to view Class Schedules.
Each 60 minute Seated Senior’s Class is comprised of gentle seated exercises to improve cardiovascular health, overall flexibility and strength. We stand for a total of 5 minutes for leg and core Strengthening exercises, to improve Balance, followed by 20 minutes of seated Strengthening exercises using therapy bands and balls, and end with a 10 minute Flexibility Stretch to help prevent pain due to stiffness. All the exercises are performed at the appropriate level of intensity for the participants involved.
Each 60 minute Active Seniors Class for Men & Women is comprised of 30 minutes of Low Impact Cardiovascular & Balance Exercises performed to lively upbeat music, 20 minutes of SEATED Strengthening Exercises using resistance bands or therapy balls, and ends with a 10 minute Flexibility Stretch to help prevent pain due to stiffness.
Each 60 minute Ladies 50+ Gentle Fit Exercise Class is comprised of a Low Impact fast-paced, Cardio workout with lots of variety, performed to upbeat, lively music; plus strength training & abdominal work using a variety of equipment, and ending with a full body stretch to improve flexibility. Please bring a mat or blanket for floor work.
- A gentle warming up of all the joints & muscles
- Moderate to vigorous cardio/aerobic endurance-style exercise (at the appropriate level for the participants involved)
- Muscle & bone strengthening & exercises, utilizing small soft balls, resistance bands and, on occasion, light hand-held weights
- Balance training
- A cooling down period of relaxing & gently stretching out the major muscles
If you are unable to attend classes, other options are available. We offer ‘One-on-One’ functional fitness training with Sally MacDonald, in your home or in our studio (when scheduling permits). You may also purchase a DVD of a 20 minute Seated workout using balls and resistance bands for $5.00 (see VIDEOS tab) and do your own workout at home without the worry that you may perform an exercise unsafely. For more information, please Click Here to send Sally a message.
It’s advisable, before starting any new physical activity program, to consult with your doctor or health care professional before you begin.
Click Here to view Class Schedules.
Description and Benefits of Private Fitness Training ‘One-on-One’
An Exercise program that is designed specifically for you can be highly beneficial to your health & well-being. What do YOU wish to achieve?
• Assistance with your physio therapy exercises, while you recover from surgery, injury or illness
• To improve your balance (which is proven to help prevent falls)
• To improve your bone strength & muscle strength (to help maintain your current level of independence)
• To improve or maintain your current Heart health
• To improve the circulation of your blood & lymphatic system (beneficial to diabetics & cancer survivors)
• To maintain & improve flexibility in your arthritic joints
Physical Activity Should be Enjoyable for YOU! Choose activities that YOU prefer. Choose to perform them seated or standing. Choose ½ hr. sessions to avoid fatigue or over-exertion, or choose 1 hr. sessions and combine activities such as those below. Equipment will be provided, such as small soft balls, resistance bands or hand-held weights.
• Gentle & Safe Stretching exercises for Arthritis and Relaxation
• Bone & Muscle Strengthening exercises using Resistance Bands or Hand Weights
• Walking for a Healthy Heart (or for Bone Health with added weight-bearing)
• Walking with Poles for improved balance, full body strengthening and optimal health
It’s advisable, before starting any physical activity program, to consult with your doctor or health care professional first.
New Pricing in effect January 1, 2017
Single Adult ½ hour = $20.00
Single Adult 1 hour = $30.00
2 Adults together ½ hour = $25.00
2 Adults together 1 hour = $40.00
ABOUT SALLY MACDONALD
Sally is an Older Adult Fitness Specialist. She holds her C.C.A.A. (Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging, Western University) Fitness Instructor Certificate. She also holds numerous certificates from various Senior’s Fitness courses and continues to further her education on a regular basis.
Sally is fully insured as an F.P.A.O. Registered Fitness and Health Professional with the Fitness Practitioners Association of Ontario and is certified in First Aid & CPR.
She has twelve years experience instructing Group Exercise Classes in fitness facilities in Owen Sound. To gain experience, she became a V.O.N. volunteer instructor. After completing their training programs, she was mentored by several fantastic, experienced Seniors fitness instructors, in leading the S.M.A.R.T. (Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together) Group Exercise Classes in our Community. Then she furthered her credentials, obtaining her S.F.I.C. Certification from Western University’s Canadian Centre for Activity and Aging; and then became employed by the Grey Bruce V.O.N. as a paid instructor.
She is on staff as a Senior’s Fitness Instructor for the Grey Bruce V.O.N. and instructs several classes weekly, both in the Community and our local Retirement Homes. Please contact Grey Bruce V.O.N. at 519-371-5331 for more information on the S.M.A.R.T. Exercise & Fall Prevention Program!
Aside from the V.O.N. classes, Sally also instructs many different types, of Seniors’ exercise classes in Owen Sound, for every level of fitness ability. We have morning and afternoon classes; and for the 50+ busy or working women (or women who prefer LOW IMPACT classes; we offer early evening classes, twice weekly. These are LIVELY & FUN, cardio and core strengthening classes. Class descriptions, times & locations, can be found under the CLASSES tab.